Lethbridge Naturalists' Society Field Trip Season is
May thru September
Everyone with an interest in learning about nature is welcome on our field trips. Lethbridge Naturalist Members will receive email invitations to upcoming field trips and will also receive a full calendar for the field trip season.
Field Trip Frequently Asked Questions
- All Nature Lethbridge field trips are generally free of charge.
- You are responsible for your own travel to and from the field trip location - carpool options may be available.
- Trips require pre-registration with the leader. Please contact the trip leader at least 24 hours ahead to register. For any trip, you are welcome to contact the leader with questions about the location or conditions.
- Participants must sign a waiver and release for each trip, supplied by the leader at the meeting place (click here to download a copy).
- Field trips range from two hours to full day trips - you are responsible for your own food and water requirements.
- If unfavourable weather conditions are present, the trip may be cut short or cancelled.
- *It is the Leader's responsibility to notify registered members in such a case.*
- Stay with the group, share your sightings and your knowledge!
- If you must leave early, please notify the leader at the time of registration.
- Leave your dog at home.
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear for the conditions (ask Field Trip Leader what is appropriate).
- Bring sun screen, hat, insect repellent, water, snack, camera, as needed.
- Leave no trace and above all be respectful.
Show us the way to your favourite natural area, or help us to find new nature spots in and around Lethbridge. Others will help with identification, and you can partner with an experienced leader to get started. To share your knowledge of a favorite location, please complete the online form below (click the button).
Tips for Leaders
- Print the Waiver and Release Form and have participants sign it at the meeting place (click here to download a copy) - be sure to bring extras with you for unexpected guests.
- Please return the completed Waiver forms to the Lethbridge Naturalists' Society field trip coordinator/secretary either by mail to our PO Box, or at a meeting or other event.
- Remind participants to let you know if they plan leave early at the time of registration.
- Encourage participants to share their knowledge, expertise, and sightings with the group - it makes for a better field trip!
- For birding trips, please post a list of sightings on Albertabird and on eBird. If you or another participant submits an eBird checklist, other participants can opt to receive a shared eBird checklist. Please share the list with firstname.lastname@example.org. You will find instructions about this on eBird help for trip leaders and participants.
Field Trip Rules & Guidelines
- The term “field trip” refers to any activity carried out with the authorization of the Lethbridge Naturalists Society, including, but not limited to regular field trips and nature walks.
- Members, friends and visitors are responsible for being adequately equipped, provisioned and prepared for the type of outing offered. Adequate clothing must be worn and any necessary equipment provided by the participant. The field trip leader has the right to refuse to take anyone he/she considers not adequately equipped and prepared for the outing planned.
- When a person joins a group he/she relinquishes individual preferences for the good of the party, and must act on the directions of the trip leader.
- Members must not detach themselves from the main group unless the trip leader gives his/her consent.
- The trip leader has the prerogative to disclaim, in presence of witnesses, responsibility for certain or all actions of participants.
- Participants must sign the waiver and release form. A parent or legal guardian must sign for all participants under 18 years of age (click here to download a copy).
- Minors (under 18 years) shall be accompanied by a parent or other responsible adult, and go at the discretion of the trip leader.
- Participants must advise the trip leader of any medical conditions which may affect their participation in any event, and should participate in only those trips within their physical capacity.
- Participants should register for outings by phoning the trip leader before 8:00 p.m. on the day previous to the outing, or as directed in the outings schedule in order to receive confirmation of the outing arrangements, and so that the leader may plan for the size and ability of the party.
- Members are responsible for their own transportation to and from the meeting place, and although car pools are usually formed, a member must be prepared to drive to the meeting place unless other arrangements have been made with the leader or another group member.
- Field trips and other outings are normally one-day (or less), but overnight trips may also be arranged.